[SQU] POST irregularity

From: Chris Wage <cwage@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:56:23 -0600

Hi there,

I am having an odd problem that I am fairly confident I have tracked down to
being some odd behavior in squid itself. I am not sure if it's a bug or not,
but your help in clarifying would be appreciated.

I had reports from a web developer here that requests coming to his CGI
stuff via our squid proxy were getting mangled -- He was processing data
that was POSTed with a perl script, and where he normally would have
expected to get his data, he was getting bits and pieces of HTTP headers..

I assumed his script was just screwing it up, but to investigate further, I
set up a sniffer to watch the request coming into the squid server, and then
the subsequent request that squid makes to the destination web server.

I have attached them both as text files. incoming.txt is the client's
request as it came into the Squid proxy. outgoing.txt is the subsequent
request that squid makes to the destination web server. Naturally, I have
changed the IP addresses and hostnames in the interest of security, but the
rest is the same.

You'll note that in outgoing.txt, for some reason everything looks good
until the end of the data, where it seems to be dumping the headers and the
data again, starting somewhere near the end of the Cookie header.

Very odd.

Does anyone know what might cause this? Is this just an odd bug in Squid?

Thanks,

--Chris Wage

 <<incoming.txt>> <<outgoing.txt>>