Re: [squid-users] how far is squit in supporting http/1.1?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:42:49 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, willem wrote:

> I work for an Internet company and was recently given the assignment to
> look how well proxy's caching systems work. Do they support the standard
> http/1.0 (or maybe even http/1.1, is that supported)? I meen in terms of
> expires, pragma and other cache control

willem,

        Most proxy caches support HTTP/1.0. Many, including Squid,
support most important caching and performance features of HTTP/1.1,
including cache-control headers you mentioned above. Squid is not
HTTP/1.1 compliant yet, but you are unlikely to notice that.

At this time, there is no practical way to test for full HTTP/1.1
compliance so it is unknown whether any cache is fully compliant. For
most practical purposes, you probably do not care about formal
compliance though.

Alex.