[squid-users] canonical url encoding and myfamily.com

From: Jeff Sapp <jasapp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:23:59 -0500

Hey, I'm having some trouble accessing some of the pictures on www.myfamily.com
running through a proxy server running on apache using mod_proxy.

Apparently myfamily.com doesn't like dealing with encoded characters.
As far as I can tell, either of these URL should be acceptible.
(I think you have to have an account at myfamily.com to view the problem
I'm talking about, so I just made up these URLs)

For instance:
www.myfamily.com/~foo.jpg works just fine
www.myfamily.com/%7Efoo.jpg returns "document contains no data"

Does squid encode these characters? If so, can the enconding be turned off?
Is encoding these characters part of the proxy's job?

Does anyone know if any other proxy servers do this?

Thanks,
Jeff