Re: [squid-users] squid and slow dns

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:01:21 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

I think you may be being bitten by DNS timeout, not the squid-dns timeout
which you can control. You can lengthen the timeout a bit and make your
system a little more tolerant by

a) running a caching name server

        this way your more frequently used info will be in the loacl dns
        cache

b) setting up your name server to forward to your ISPs server

        put a forwarders line with your ISP's server(s) in there severaL
        times, eg (bind 8 syntax)

        forwarders {
                1.2.3.4
                1.2.4.8
                1.2.3.4
                1.2.4.8
        };
        forward only;

        This way when the first server doesn't answer in time your dns
        will query the next one and so on. You might be able to stretch
        the timeout to long enough for one of them to answer.

c) don't start squid if the link isn't up

 On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Bob Firth wrote:

> I am running squid-2.3.STABLE1-5 on a Linux server (RH6.2), with a dialup
> link (56k modem) controlled by diald. The link takes 30-40 seconds to
> come up, occasionally longer if the first attempt fails for some reason.
> The link is typically brought up by a dns lookup, and at busy times this
> can take considerably longer on top of the connect time. Squid does not
> seem to be very tolerant of dns taking such a long time.

Colin