Re: [squid-users] Squid choking on large ACL lists--high CPU usage

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 10:30:19 +0100

url_regex has a scalability problem when the lists grows large, especially if
most are word matches and not fixed matches. For each pattern it has to do a
full match against every URL seen.

If you want to block whole sites it is better to use the dst_domain or dst
ACL types. These scale a whole lot better.

If you want to block sites with a certain word or pattern in their domain
name, it is better to use dstdom_regex. It has a much smaller search scope
than url_regex (only the host.domain part, not the whole URL).

Squid Hacker