Re: [squid-users] Recommended Configuration?

From: Bill Arlofski <waa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 11:21:08 -0500

Thank you Joe for the comments and recommendations... I'll keep them handy. :)

---
Bill Arlofski
Unix/Novell Systems Administrator
The Hotchkiss School
waa@hotchkiss.org
860-435-3140
Bill Arlofski wrote:
> Processor Speed?
Any modern processor will do.  We ship a Celeron 733 in our smallest
model to support up to 2 T1 links and have cycles to spare.
> Memory Size?
Anything over 192MB should be fine...but it will also depend on the sise
of your cache.
> Should we bother considering mulit-link trunking (bonding) two 100Mbps ethernet connections to the switch, or is that just plain silly?
No.  That would be silly.
> Also, regarding the cache volume:
> What is a reasonable size?
12GB is probably plenty for a single T1.
> RAID 1, or RAID 5? Seems like RAID 1 is the way to go for speed. Or maybe a RAID 1+0 for speed and redundancy.
> Can I get away with software-based RAID, or should we not play games and go for a hardware raid solution?
Don't use RAID at all for cache partitions.  It would be silly and
counter-productive.  There are ways to minimize the damage to
performance done by using RAIDed partitions, but it's cheaper and more
effective just to avoid it.
> Did I miss anything?
You aren't going to hit any performance problems, most likely...You
probably won't even hit the file descriptor limits of Linux (it defaults
to 1024--which is usually plenty for 1.5Mbits, but I raise them to 8192
on all of our boxes anyway).
I do recommend using an AUFS compile of Squid.  And ReiserFS for the
filesystem is good too.  But even those two things probably aren't
needed in your case.  Any modern hardware with a standard Squid install
can probably handle it.
--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com