Re: [squid-users] ACL Problems

From: Kelly <admin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 21:05:41 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Colin Campbell" <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
To: "Kelly" <admin@thinktankdecoy.com>
Cc: <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 8:47 PM
Subject: Re: [squid-users] ACL Problems

> Hi,
>
> Now I'm confused. Originally I thought you had the squid between users and
> your web server in order to take a load of the web server. What you
> describe though leads me to believe you have internal users and squid on
> your firewall.
>
> Exactly what are you trying to do? Where are the users? What do you want
> squid to do?
>
> Colin

Yes, you're right. Squid is sitting between the users (people out in Omaha,
or Japan, or wherever they may be) & the web server.

Internet

Squid / Firewall

Internal Network ----- Web Server

Squid lives on my external box. It's a RedHat 7 box acting as a firewall,
running IPCHAINS & IPMASQ. I'm the only person on the internal side of the
network, so I have no interest in running squid as a traditional proxy
server. What I want to end up having it do is to capture all traffic to one
of my web servers, limiting the bandwidth users get from that server.