Re: [squid-users] supplying ftp with username

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 07:19:53 +0100

On Friday 09 November 2001 06.03, Brendan Corcoran wrote:
> Whenever I try to ftp://myself@ftp.ftpserver.com/ in my internet browser
> using squid as the ftp proxy:
>
> I get "Access Denied. Access control configuration prevents your request
> from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if
> you feel this is incorrect."

This is Squid trying to ask your browser to provide the password.
Unfortunately not all browser types is very happy about providing a password
for ftp:// URLs, and the error message is perhaps selected badly... (should
have been "Sorry, you are not currently allowed to request: ... from this
cache until you have authenticated yourself".. will correct this in future
Squid versions)

> Ftp works if supply both a username and password
> ftp://myself:mypassword@ftp.ftpserver.com/ or if it is an anonymous ftp
> server. I don't want to do it the first way as it is insecure...

Then use another browser that understands how to provide Squid with a
password when requested. Netscape is known to work. Microsoft IE is known not
to.

The first method (password in the URL) is the official method for providing
the password.

Squid Hacker