[squid-users] squid rproxy - heavy load test.. summarization..

From: Klavs Klavsen <ktk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 11:29:44 +0100

Hi guys,

To summarize..

The only reason I got the stress test from yesterday, was because of a
heavy unexpected load on several of our sites..
I forwarded the requests for only 1 of the webservers running cnn.dk site..
and it forwarded 900+ requests to the squidbox..

As I can't reproduce the load as it came to be yesterday, I'm gonna set up
some stress-test tools - to test how far I can push the squid in regards
to req/sec - and median service times..

Please tell me, if there are any tests/numbers or anything you would like
me to do.. and if you would like me to mail the results to you.

Questions at current:

1) Squid simply died at approx. 900 requests..
     - is there any way I can make squid - drop connections above this
limit - or something like that - so that some - say the first 900
requests/sec gets served..
       but if there are requested more than it can handle it simply drops
them.. or perhaps nicely queue them - so that it doesn't go above a certain
response time?

2) I will return with more debug stuff once I get a stress test environment
setup..
    - have you got any tips for what I can use? I've looked at Jmeter.. and
I'm gonna have a look at how the SpecWeb test runs..

3) I'm gonna try and tune it.. to see how fast it can get.. - and btw. I
got good news in regards to the comparison the the CacheFlow box.
    - the biggest - of their Fixed size boxes - "only" serves a guaranteed
1700 req/sec - and has max of 7.000 concurrent sessions.
   - I ofcourse want to push squid as close to that box as It can get.. but
the most important thing is that it doesn't freeze (see 1).
  - have you any tips for tuning squid-2.5 and Linux?
         - I'm gonna set the AIO proc amount to 100.. does that seem fair,
for a box that needs to deliver this kind of req/sec?
         - Anything else I can do.. to increase the max req/sec, the max
concurrent sessions, and the way it deals with Max loads?

-------------| This mail has been sent to you by: |------------
Klavs Klavsen, IT-coordinator and Systems Administrator at
Metropol Online - http://www.metropol.dk
Tlf. 33752700, Fax 33752720, Email ktk@metropol.dk

Private- Email klavs@klavsen.net - http://www.vsen.dk

It is a myth that people resist change. People resist what other
people make them do, not what they themselves choose to do...
That's why companies that innovate successfully year after year
seek their peopl's ideas, let them initiate new projects and
encourage more experiments. -- Rosabeth Moss Kanter