Re: [squid-users] Any way of using cachemgr.cgi without a web server?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 01:23:02 +0100

Colin Campbell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Hamid Hashemi Golpayegani wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I think that the best way is using SNMP . You can enable squid snmp and
> > try to getting parameter through snmpget command remotly .
> > Any better idea ?!
>
> Or you can use the client program with the mgr: protocol, eg
>
> /squid/bin/client mgr:storedir
>
> which, I think is exactly what cachemgr.cgi does anyway. You can find out
> from cachemgr.cgi, the appropriate replacements for "storedir" for the
> other statistics.

Both "client" and "cachemgr.cgi" uses HTTP to Squid to fetch the
requested information page.

cachemgr.cgi reformats the result to HTML according to some simple
rules.

client gives you a raw dump, identical to what you would receive if you
sent the HTTP request logged in access.log.
(cache_object://server/<menuentry>)

What this means is that in lack of any client, you can always telnet to
Squid to retreive the information

telnet localhost 3128
GET cache_object://server/storedir HTTP/1.0
[blank line]

Squid Hacker