Re: [squid-users] HTTP/1.0 vs. HTTP/1.1 v2.4Stable2

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:13:32 +0100

On Wednesday 14 November 2001 14.07, Troels Arvin wrote:

> I suppose that you could faily easily patch Squid to change the
> announced HTTP version.

If you accept that most dynamic content then will break when the server
replies with a HTTP/1.1 reply Squid does not know how to deal with (chunked
encoding).

> > Should I use version 2.2 in order to access sites requireing HTTP/1.1?
>
> I have never tried Squid versions older than v. 2.4, but I assume that they
> also announce HTTP v. 1.0.

They do. Required by HTTP specifications until all required parts of HTTP/1.1
is supported. If Squid did not, things would break badly as HTTP/1.1 works
differently from HTTP/1.0.

> I have never seen a site which rejects user agents announcing HTTP/1.0,
> and Squid supports HTTP/1.1's "Host: ..." requeste header, so things
> _should_ be fine.

Same here.

What is the reason to needing to forward as HTTP/1.1? It is quite likely that
if you are having problems then the problems are due to something else than
the HTTP/1.0 downgrade.

Squid Hacker