Re: [squid-users] Squid and Itanium - ia64

From: Henrik Nordström <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:39:02 +0100

Should be. I ran it quite well on Alpha some years ago.. (Alpha is another 64
bit processor architecture). But there has been some cleanups in the upcoming
Squid-2.5 release that may be relevant for 64 bit architectures, almost all
only relevant for cache.log debug information..

However, Squid does not benefit much from 64 bit architectures. Gerenally
less cost effective in performance/$$ for Squid. CPU speed is often not the
bottleneck of Squid. What Squid can benefit from the 64 bit architecture most
is the ability to support huge amounts of memory if you need a really really
big cache, however it comes at the cost of 64 bits radically increasing the
amount of memory required..

There is many things one can do to tune the performance of Squid. In priority
order
* Making sure there is sufficient amount of memory to fit Squid
* Software tuning
* Disk system
* Memory
* CPU

Most are outside what I can provide as part of the free support services or I
would be competing with myself, but there is some documents on the web.

MARA Systems AB, Sweden

--
MARA Systems AB
Giving you basic free Squid support