Re: [squid-users] preventing overload

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:34:05 +0100

On Wednesday 21 November 2001 10.08, Klier Rainer wrote:

> 2 questions concerning load:
> - is it possible to do loadbalancing of parentproxies
> depending on the average reponsetimes (or throughput)
> of parentproxies?

This is what ICP tries to acheive.. you balance it with the weight argument.

There are some plans on doing similar balancing using HTTP response times,
but there is nothing concrete yet.

> - Is it possible to restrict the concurrent open connections
> to a dstdomain to a fixed number?

Not without first coding the feature.

> traffic is possible. Although the problem then
> is at www.cnn.com or www.spiegel.de, our proxies
> won't work anymore and we cannot guarantee our
> service levels.

The only advice I can give is to make sure you have a sufficient margin in
your proxies, and don't disable negative caching.

--
MARA Systems AB
Giving you basic free Squid support