Re: [squid-users] Hello

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 21:47:08 -0800 (PST)

if u are accessing POP3 and SMTP through the Linux server that hosts your squid process, and are using IPchains or IPTables, u will not have to worry about thinking that u are accessing your mail through Squid... what actually happens is that Ipchains and IPTables transparently passess POP3 and SMTP requests to your POP3/SMTP servers through the same Linux server that hosts your squid process...

all u have to do is specify your SMTP/POP3 server in your mail client, and then specify your default gateway as your gateway server.. if u are running squid on your gateway server, so be it.. squid will only respond to the HTTP protocol.. if u need to access your POP3 and SMTP server, IPchains will take care of this and just route your packets through...

just esnure that u have enabled Masquerading..

good luck..

AKNIT

--- "Cameron Lowe" <c_lowe@bigpond.com> wrote:
>You are unable to access email servers through Squid. Squid is a http/ftp
>proxy server, not a mail server.
> (*)(*)
> \____/
>Archilies
>archalies@relax.com.au

Be different Get yourself a Globenetcafe.net email ID
Uganda's Newest internet cafe www.globenetcafe.net