Re: [squid-users] A couple questions on disk usage

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:52:35 +0100

On Tuesday 27 November 2001 17.53, Steve Snyder wrote:

> 1. Note that directory /var/spool/squid/00/04 is much larger than any
> other L2 directory. It is the only directory whose disk usage comsumes a
> 5-digit amount of space. Shouldn't Squid be balancing the L2 directories
> better than this? Why does this dir hold ~30 times as much data as some
> other L2 directories?

Squid does not balance the directory on the data volume, only the number of
objects.

> 2. I've been running Squid for a couple years now, on several versions of
> Linux and Squid, always defining the number of L1/L2 directories according
> to the recommended formula. There have always been many L2 dirs that were
> never touched. Currently L2 directories A0 through FF are unused, which is
> about typical in my experience. What would be the harm/benefit of reducing
> the count of L2 directories from 256 (= max of FF) to 192 (= max BF)?

Only L1 directories (or the last L2 directories in the last used L1
directory) should be unused. I.e. 00/FF will be used before 01/00. The L1/L2
directories are part of the file number assigned, starting at 0 and growing
until the cache is full when it again restarts at 0 or first free number.

L1_directory_number = (file_number / (L2 * L2) ) % L1
L2_directory_number = (file_number / L2) % L2

MARA Systems AB
Giving you basic free Squid support
Priority support or Squid enhancements available on request