Re: [squid-users] proxy autoconfig

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:57:40 +0100

On Tuesday 27 November 2001 18.21, Reischl, Brian wrote:

> I've set up an Apache server that can serve the proxy.pac file, and a
> redirector process that will rewrite URLs. The problem is that Netscape
> doesn't send a properly formatted proxy request but rather a regular HTTP
> GET request. Since it isn't properly formatted Squid returns an "Invalid
> URL" error before the redirector ever sees the request. In fact, the
> requests don't even make it into the access log.

httpd_accel_host <ip_of_your_apache>
httpd_accel_with_proxy on

Or alternatively, don't run Squid on the ip+port you have announced for
proxy.pac downloads.

For best administrative operation proxy.pac should be served from a
"maintenance-secured" location, so your browser configuration is not tied to
what proxies you have in production. This way, if you ever need to swich
proxy or any other change, simply update proxy.pac and wait until your
clients have found the new config..

Having the actual proxy act as the proxy.pac service location kind of defeats
one of the purposes of having a proxy.pac file in the first place..

--
MARA Systems AB
Giving you basic free Squid support