Re: [squid-users] When will squid support smp?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:13:21 -0600

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2001, Tsao Kele wrote:
>
>>or smp is not so usefull?
>>

> SMP is useful if implemented correctly.
>
> You can kind of do SMP right now by running multiple squid servers
> on the one box and redirecting the incoming requests to each squid.
> I believe someone here has done this with linux. Can they pipe up? :)
>
> As for "proper" SMP support - its on the cards.

This is me piping up. Not much to say about it, other than it works fine.

I have a Squid-cluster monitoring module for Webmin in development, as
well as configuration file management scripts and initscripts to manage
multiple Squid processes without too much hassle, which I'll publish
when they're finished. The Webmin module works for any number of Squid
processes on any number of machines (including two on a single box), and
provides individual and combined data for the Squids in the cluster.

The only thing that might be tricky for folks is how to divide the
traffic in order to avoid redundant cache data...Simply split it on the
last octet of the destination IP. Here's my rules for a WCCP enabled
machine with one Squid on 8080 and the other on the default 3128:

/sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.128 -i gre0 -p tcp
--dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 8080
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 0.0.0.128/0.0.0.128 -i gre0 -p
tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128

The one on 8080 gets a little more traffic (about 30-40%) than the 3128
process, but performance is great on the box so I haven't tweaked it.

Robert mentioned in a private email conversation a while back that he
had implemented an include directive for squid.conf--that would be even
better for cluster and multi-process Squid environments. Just for the
record, I'd love to see that go into the official Squid 2.[56].

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
http://www.swelltech.com