Re: [squid-users] Email problem.

From: Toth Janos <janos.toth@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:16:35 +0100

Hi,

where is your mail server in your topology? If it is beyond th router
you mnetioned then you can do one of this:
- enable routing on your linux box, (it is not squid related)
- if you set up packetfiltering or any firewall function (two interface
is not necessary for squid), then check its rules
- or if no firewall/routing function is necessary on your linux box,
then connect the router to the hub not to the linux box.

squid is just a _http_proxy (with cache function, of course), it has
nothing with mail relaying or network firewalling.
TJ
> I've installed a Linux server with 2 Ethernet interfaces (one
> connected to a router and the other connected to a 10 Mbit hub for the
> intranet). Squid was installed and configured and it is functioning,
> but I have a big problem: Outlook Express doesn't send or receive
> email, it doesn't find the mail servers.
>
> Is there an error in the squid configuration?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Roberto

Janos Toth
network security administrator
Hungarian National Assembly, Department of Informatics
e-mail: janos.toth@mkogy.hu