[squid-users] Upgrading to Squid 2.4 or 2.5-STABLE

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 17:03:44 +0000 (GMT)

hi list..

i am a proud owner of a very powerful and stable squid
server that has never given me trouble from the time
it was incepted well over 5 months back.. i am running
Squid-2.3-STABLE-4 on SuSE 7.2 Pro Linux with kernel
2.2.19-SMP on transparent mode.... this server has
performed so well, replying to over 100 simultaneous
requests...

however, i have been watching the list over the last
few weeks and have noticed alot of talk of the new
features and improved speed offered by Squid-2.4.. i
am considering, and wondering whether i need to
upgrade to this new version....

my system is such that the Squid version i am using is
packaged by SuSE and shipped with their CD set... all
security and enhancement updates on Squid are also
downloaded from SuSE's FTP server.. i have never
actually used the Squid tar-ball from squid-cache.org.

the installation of this server was initially done on
SuSE 7.0 Pro, which already had Squid-2.3-STABLE-3.. i
upgraded after that to SuSE 7.2 Pro and bumped the
squid version one notch higher... however, i noticed
something really interesting during the installation
of the SuSE prepared Squid RPM.. it warned that if i
was upgrading from Squid-2.2, i would have to delete
my entire /var/squid/cache directory, as the cache in
their would not work with Squid-2.3 ..

now, my question.. if i decide to bump a major version
number, that is, from Squid-2.3 to Squid-2.4, will i
have to dump my squid cache...?.. this worries me,
especially when we have a very well-behaved and
reliable cache server and have built several Gigs of
cache data.... if so, is upgrading to Squid-2.4, or
even Squid-2.5 worth the risk, considering we don't
really need alot from Squid, such as user auth or any
of its fancy features, just to cache web info and
access it...?...

i would really appreciate some input on this matter..
thanks in advance...

AKNIT