Re: [squid-users] MEMORY usage

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 02:12:58 -0500

On Saturday 01 December 2001 02:02 am, Oleg Sorokin wrote:
> Hello,
> can anybody help me with the following question???
>
> the problem is the next... i've set cache_mem 45M ( i've 128M on the pc
> )... after restarting, squid uses as it shows in the squid.conf file ~
> 45-48MB of memory...
> but after several days squid already uses 90% of total memory ~
> 110-115MB...and still
> grows...
> i've set memory_pool off ( to make squid to free memory - as i
> understand...)
> but nethertheless the persantage of memory using is still grows...:((
>
> pls, f1...how to control squid memory usage???

The cache_mem parameter only controls one type of memory used by Squid. If
you look at the example squid.conf that comes with Squid you will see a
notation that the total Squid memory use can be up to 3 times the cache_mem
value.

So 135MB = 3 * 45MB. You've basically told Squid to use more memory than
the 128MB of RAM you have installed. That's not good.