[squid-users] newbie config help

From: Ben Snyder <bensnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:07:33 -0800 (PST)

OK, I've looked at the FAQ and searched the archives,
but have not been able to find what I'm looking for.

I have 2 machines, each running RH7.2 and openssh.
One machine (which I'll call remote) is running squid
(2.4 S3) and is behind a linksys router which has one
side connected to my cable modem and the other to a
LAN switch. Linksys is providing NAT services for
this machine. The other machine (which I'll call
local) is behind a VERY strict firewall which allows
very little traffic to leave the LAN. I'm the admin
on both, so there's no need to worry about getting
permission...the ssh tunnel has been aproved by out
networking folks too.

I'm trying to let the local machine to use squid as a
proxt via an ssh tunnel. I've setup NS6.2 to use
localhost and port 3000 as its proxy and then did the
following:

    'ssh -L 3000:<remote_host>:3128 <remote_host> -l
<username>'

Whenever I fire up my browser I get the 'access
denied' screen generated by squid. I'm figuring that
this means that all of my traffic is getting routed
correctly, but that I dont have squid configured
correclty.

Can anyone help me out? Do I need to put the Ip of
the cable modem in the config file, or do I need to
put the LAN IP of the remote machine (the one that
gets NET'ed) in the config file? Do I need to throw
in a -R option to my ssh command and route some remote
ports?

As stated in the subj line, I'm a newbie to squid, but
am an experienced *nix admin and have a decent
understanding of networking and traffic flows (at
least I think I do).

Thanks in advance for the feedback.