[squid-users] Is there a Cygwin install step-by-step

From: Josh Kuperman <josh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:34:48 -0500

I just installed or tried to install Squid using the Cygwin. I am
trying to promote Squid as a cheap (i.e. free) useable with MS Windows
(i.e. donated Gates Foundation Server) for public libraries since many
small libraries need the control but really lack the technical skill
to manage any computers on their own. I will need to get a more
detailed set of step by step instructions than any I've found. (I also
need to get it working which I haven't yet.)

I set up Cygwin and used the Cygwin setup program to download Squid. I
followed the instructions in INSTALL. They are still very specific to
a Unix environment and I am installing on NT40. I used Guest and
Guests as the user and group. The accounts are still disabled. Is that
a problem? Of course by default there is no user, nobody, in NT. I
specified an external dns server, since the NT server was not running
one. I created a 200MB cache file by simply creating a folder
/usr/local/squid/etc/cache and specifying its size in
/usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf. I ran /usr/local/squid/bin/squid -z
to set up the cache. Then I started running /usr/local/squid/bin/squid
-D to run for real.

In reality every step outlined above involved two or three false steps
and quite a bit of confusion. Ranging from wondering what the
/usr/bin/squid file is and where it came from to wondering if a user
with a disabled account is good for running a process with NT and
Cygwin.

I still have not quite got it working. It blocks the few addresses I
specified with a url_regex sourcing in a file. Sadly, every valid URL
is returning the message Connection Failed (14) Bad Address. I run
nslookup from the Cygwin shell and there is no problem. I get a
TCP_MISS/503 in the access.log and an entry in the store log that I
can't quite make out. Perhaps I've messed up some file permissions or
ownership?? No idea what they should be on NT.

I suspect I missed one more piece where NT differs from Unix or where
running from a server that is not provided any other network services
creates a problem. Frankly, I'm a little bit clueless. I suspect I
could figure it out by pooring through the logs and the mail archives
(which is how I got as far as I did) but this won't really be good
enough if I want to show someone with less of a technical background
how to set up Squid.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh@saratoga.lib.ny.us