Re: [squid-users] Why Squid is great (was: fourth cache off??)

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 01:26:52 -0600

Robert Collins wrote:
> Clustering of machines is certainly possible. From a sales perspective
> though, many organisations will choose a single install rather than a
> cluster. Why? Cost. If the smallest cache is X dollars, having two costs
> 2X no matter the topology. If they are forking out for distributed
> caches, their easiest answer is to have no end users on the centralised
> site, only child caches, and they will handle failure gracefully.

Yes, but one reason for that is that nobody has tried to point out
that centralized servers have costs, too.

I see no reason why we can't start pointing that out.

--
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com
http://www.pushcache.com/                             (512) 420-9025