Re: [squid-users] to turn off IE cache?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 18:28:55 +0100

True, but in the context discussed this should be pretty safe. Freshness
validations of truly dynamic pages are supposed to always fail, indicating
there is a newer version available. If not you have deeper problems with your
HTTP server setup.

The most important directive in the mix is the Expires header. The
"Cache-Control: no-cache" is only to more strongly indicate that this may not
be reused without prior revalidation.

If one wants to completely disallow all caching for security purposes or
whatever then there is the "no-store" directive.

There is also the "private" directive which is similar to "no-store" but only
applies to shared caches like Squid, not the users private browser caches.

Both "private" and "no-store" also requires the use of the "Expires" header
to guarantee proper operation when there may be old HTTP/1.0 caches in the
path.

On Thursday 27 December 2001 17.51, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> > header ("Cache-Control: no-cache"); // Should not be cached
>
> IIRC, in HTTP, the no-cache directive actually means 'do not serve
> without revalidation' rather than 'do not cache'. I do not know about
> IE, but a few caching proxies do cache no-cache responses because of
> that.
>
> Alex.

available on request