Re: [squid-users] Re: Authentication on a load balanced squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 13:43:18 +0200

On Sunday 02 June 2002 03:58, David Beards wrote:

> This is something I've been cosidering for a month or so now, but
> how do you go about analyzing the log files?

Depends on what you want to know from your log files.

> We use authentication on our caches so we can keep tabs on the
> amount of surfing users do and analyse the logs on a per user
> basis. We tend to use SQMGRLOG to analyse the files, but I'm unsure
> as to wheterh I'd be able to concatenate the files and then run log
> analysis over them.

For most log analyzis programs concatenation is fine, but mergeing the
files from your Squid servers is probably recommended

  sort -o merged.log -m access-1.log access-2.log access-3.log...

> Are you aware if this program would be able to (I know this isn't
> your problem) or any analysis programs that would be able to cope
> with log files having non sequential date stamps?

As shown above, mergeing the files is a almost trivial task (and not
very CPU intensive either) in UNIX so there is not really any reason
to be worried about non-sequential date stamps..