Re: [squid-users] Transparent Proxy / Accelerator Mode

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 15:52:21 +0200

Geffrey Velásquez wrote:

> Disabling internal DNS "--disable-internal-dns" and using an external DNS
> Server (ie the DNS supplied for the provider) will affect the performance?
> will become slow?

Only if you have a huge amount of DNS lookups, which is rarely the case in an
accelerator..

> Then, is a good option to install Bind 9.x in the Proxy Server?, remenber
> that I will disable the internal dns server...

In all cases, if you want Squid to be able to resolve Internet DNS names there
must be a DNS server somewhere it can connect to. Where to run this DNS
server depends on your network layout and the performance of the DNS servers
you have.

> In squid.conf there is a directive: "cache_dns_program", which program
> could be?? recomendations please...

You do not need to touch this directive unless you have Squid installed in
another location than the compiled prefix. It sets the path to the external
Squid specific DNS helper "dnsserver", used when Squid is built with
--disable-internal-dns.