Re: [squid-users] "Accept-Encoding" header

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 00:21:35 +0200

On Friday 21 June 2002 23.17, Slava Bizyayev wrote:

> Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Content compression has not
> been introduced at all in HTTP/1.0, and Content-Encoding was used
> by Netscape mainly for their early experiments with content
> compression. Some of that old browsers are still in use, but they
> are buggy usually.

Does not change my point a bit, and is in fact false. Content-Encoding
is well defined in HTTP/1.0. It is Transfer-Encoding that is new in
HTTP/1.1 and also the directory of standard encoding names is cleaner
in HTTP/1.1 than in the HTTP/1.0 specification but fully compatible
provided the browser is at least HTTP/1.0 compliant...

Content-Encoding is a End-To-End property. If the server identifies
the receiving end as capable of receiving the reply encoded in
certain manner then it is fully safe to do so over HTTP/1.0 provided
the reply is correcly protected from any HTTP/1.0 caches that may not
know about Vary.

You cannot safely respond with a specific Content-Encoding other than
identity unless you have positively identified the receiver as
capable of receiving the selected encoding. This is true independent
of the signalled HTTP version.