Re: [squid-users] Re: Leased line/satellite combo

From: Lionel Pinkhard <lionelpinkhard@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 23:38:05 +0200

I wish we could afford it, I work for a very small company, and the X.21
router we had earlier cost us about 7-8 times the price of our current
analogue leased line using a modem and satellite card. The modem and
satellite card are totally seperate (two different service providers), but
we pay flat rate for satellite (and it's a lot faster), and for the leased
line we pay per megabyte! And the leased line runs at 33.6k, which is slow
compared to +/- 400k for the satellite, now the bad thing is the satellite
doesn't support uploading, only downloading (it's illegal in South Africa
(where I am) to transmit satellite data -- I don't actually know if that's
true, but that's what I heard). Only one company here has the right to
transmit internet data over satellite, our service provider! Well, basicly
we want it as fast as possible, and most importantly, as cheap as possible!

Lionel Pinkhard