[squid-users] Re: linux dies

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 19:29:57 +0200

If the whole system stops responding then you most likely have a
kernel or hardware related problem.

Try excersizing your system by running other intensive applications
such as a repeated kernel build

cd /var/tmp
tar xvf linux-2.4.19.tar.gz
cd linux
make xconfig
[save and exit]
cp .config ../linux.config
cd ..
rm -rf linux

Then run the following script

#!/bin/sh -e
a=1
while true; do
  echo $a >>linux.log
  tar xvf linux-2.4.19.tar.gz
  cd linux
  cp ../linux.config .config
  make dep
  make clean
  make bzImage
  make modules
  cd ..
  rm -rf linux
  a=`expr $a + 1`
done

This excersizes most komponents of a Linux system fairly well with a
mix of I/O intensive, CPU intensive and balanced operations..

Also see your systems messages file if there is any hints on what is
going on in the crashes.