[squid-users] Configuring for WCCP

From: Mike Saunders <msaunders@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:48:42 -0500

Hello everybody! I was hoping that somebody can point me to a tutorial
for setting up WCCP. I've done some looking, but I haven't found a lot
of information. I guess I have a couple of questions about it as well.

        First off, right now we're using an access-map on our cisco
router to redirect all outbound port 80 requests to our squid machine.
My understanding was that with WCCP it will send to my cache server, and
if it detects the cache server is down, it will stop redirecting web
traffic and the customers will go directly to the host. Is this
correct?

        Second, what advantages does WCCP offer vs. transparent
redirection like I'm doing now? Any responses on or off the list would
be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Mike Saunders
Systems Administration