RE: [squid-users] Popup login and password box with Winbind authe nticators

From: Paul Norris <PaulNorris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:19:34 -0400

Sorry about the late reply.
This is what I get from ethereal. It looks like NTLM is being passed
to an extent.

GET http://www.cisco.com/ HTTP/1.0 Accept: */* Accept-Language: en-us
2002 16:13:13 GMT X-Squid-Error: ERR_CACHE_ACCESS_DENIED 0
Proxy-Authenticate: Basic realm="CFRS.net Web Connection"
Proxy-Authenticate: NTLM X-Cache: MISS from proxy Proxy-Connection:
close
ERROR
Cache Access Denied

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.cisco.com/

The following error was encountered:

* Cache Access Denied.

Sorry, you are not currently allowed to request:

    http://www.cisco.com/

from this cache until you have authenticated yourself.

You need to use Netscape version 2.0 or greater, or Microsoft
Internet Explorer 3.0, or an HTTP/1.1 compliant browser for this to
work. Please contact the cache administrator if you have difficulties
authenticating yourself or change your default password.

> Could this have something to do with the fact that I don't see
> <Domain><Winbindseparator><username> when I do wbinfo -u or -g? I
> don't really have a clue, I'm just thinking out loud.

No, that sounds normal.

Fire up ethereal or the like and look at the conversation between
squid and IE.

The first response from squid should be a 407 Proxy Authentication
Required and include a header line like:
Proxy-Authenticate: NTLM

Jerry

A sample conversation for an initial request from one of my test
machines:

IE:
===
GET http://www.cisco.com/ HTTP/1.0
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint,
application/msword, application/pdf, */*
.NET CLR 1.0.3705)
Host: www.cisco.com
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive

Squid Response:
HTTP/1.0 407 Proxy Authentication Required
Server: Squid/2.5-DEVEL