Re: [squid-users] cache size

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:15:39 +0100

Rodney Richison wrote:

> Have been lurking and watching, but do not find much info on cache size =
> recommendations and trade-off in speed. Would like, of course to have =
> the largest cache known to man. :)
>
> Machine is 2gz and can put in as much ram as we need.
>
> So if I've 40 or 60 gigs to give squid, will I slow it down by making to =
> big of a cache? I'd like to cache big files as well as small ones =
> without sacrificing speed. In other words, I want my cake and eat it =
> too. :)
>
> I guess my question is, is there a penalty or downside to a giant cache? =

 A giant cache will need lot's of ram indeed.
 See the FAQ on the relation between cache size(s) and needed RAM.

 SQUID latency, will be determined by several factor's such
 as disk and bus types etc.
 You may want to wander through the archives and find interesting
 contributions on such issues but usually there on 'dramatic' issues
 on that area.

 M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM