Re: [squid-users] BLock Http Tunnel

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 12 Feb 2003 17:36:32 +0100

ons 2003-02-12 klockan 12.40 skrev Gavin Hamill:

> Actually, do the squid logs contain how much time elapsed during the CONNECT?

Yes. The duration column shows how long the connection was held open.
(squid native access.log format only)

Note: In some conditions fully valid https:// traffic may keep a
connection open for extended period of time if there is periodic traffic
more frequently than the persistent connections timeout in the browser
and/or server, for example if a user has a automatically refreshing
window open with a https://... URL such as a a stock rates display or
similar..

> Microsoft ISA would probably implement this as a 'Tunnel Stealth Mode'
> integrated into the main application, but I don't believe it's desirable for
> squid to perform this task in itself, hence the suggestion of monitoring the
> log files.

Using SNORT or other IDS applications is probably a good idea. Not at
all hard to set up a filter to detect when someone is running SSH over
port 443... just look for the SSH signature in response to a connection
to port 443.

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden