Re: Fw: [squid-users] network design

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:32:00 +0100

Rodney Richison wrote:

> I'm rather new to linux. I tested the nt port first, then ditched windows
> and went with redhat. The windows port had an entry for the host_file.

If is not a nt port specific directive. All Squids 2.5 or later have
this directive.

> I entered my info in the /etc/hosts to no avail and after finding no entry
> in the linux version for host_file I discover it uses internal dns and
> won't
> do a hosts file. (Tell me if I'm all mixed up here). Not having compiled a
> linux program before, and having it working so very well right now.. I'm
> leary of attempting to recompile. But, in the end, would that be the best
> thing to do and disable the internal dns?

The best action would be to upgrade to Squid-2.5. You probably have
Squid-2.4 installed today..

If you do not find a prebuilt binary for your flavor of Linux then you
need to recompile Squid. Compiling Squid is not very hard, just follow
the INSTALL instructions.