Re: [squid-users] Authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:10:24 +0200

Gator wrote:

> I have been using basic authentication nicely for some time against a
> MySQL database. The problem is that there are several programs - most
> notably TurboTax - that do not give back an authentication challenge.
> Interestingly the help screens in TurboTax indicate that it should deal
> with proxy authentication. There are many others that give me the same
> problem. Most of them are programs that update themselves through the
> web.

> Is there some configuration parameter that would help this problem? For
> instance, once the user is authenticated could I configure Squid to
> accept all requests from that particular IP address for the next hour
> without further authentication? Or any other potential workarounds?

What you can do is to allow access to the required sites used by these
programs without requiring authentication by inserting something like
the following

acl my_networks src ....
acl noauth_sites dstdomain "/path/to/file/listing/allowed/domains.txt"
http_access allow my_networks noauth_sites

before where you require authentication in your http_access rules.

--
Free Squid-users support provided by Henrik Nordström
<hno@squid-cache.org>