Re: [squid-users] 2.4 stable7 upgrade to 2.5 stable2 problems

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 17 Apr 2003 12:02:04 +0200

tor 2003-04-17 klockan 02.07 skrev richard.fuser@ernstyoung.com.au:

> One thing I noticed when squid process was restarted was this:
>
> 2003/04/16 02:13:15| WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors
> 2003/04/16 02:13:31| WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors

This is a major performance problem.. see the Squid FAQ for instructions
how to configure your system to support more filedescriptors.

> 2003/04/16 02:15:01| ipcCreate: fork: (12) Not enough space
> 2003/04/16 02:15:01| WARNING: Cannot run '/usr/local/sbin/redirector'
> process.

This is a major issue. See the Squid FAQ for a lengthy discussion about
this specific problem and how to address it.

> 2003/04/16 02:16:01| comm_accept: FD 9: (9) Bad file number
> 2003/04/16 02:16:01| httpAccept: FD 9: accept failure: (9) Bad file number

This is not expected and not good at all, but I would not have much
trust in this Squid until restarted after the above fork error..

> > 2003/04/16 08:21:21| commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 902 to
> xxx.x.xx.xx:0:
> > (22) Invalid argument
>
> This usually appears in our cache.log and the address displayed is the
> proxys own IP, in some cases maybe 5% of the time I have seen the IP of the
> socks server in this error message.

Squid only uses commBind in this manner on two occations:

a) When you have configured Squid to use tcp_outgoing_address

b) When initiating a active (PORT) FTP data channel in response to a
ftp:// request.

>From your description it sounds like you have socksified Squid, and that
the Socks library you are using does not seem to play well with Squid.

However, this error should not be fatal I think, only annoying in
cache.log..

> We dont have anything set for tcp_outgoing_address is it best to set
> something here?

No. Don't set tcp_outgoing_address unless you have a very good reason
for setting this. You will know if you need this set, if not ignore it.

Free Squid-users support provided by Henrik Nordström <hno@squid-cache.org>
If you need commercial Squid support or cost effective Squid and