Re: [squid-users] Squid being slow more than a direct connection

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 23:54:24 +0200

On Saturday 24 May 2003 19.42, Sarky wrote:

> I am using Squid at the moment after setting it up i have noticed
> going through proxy is actually slower than a direct connection can
> someone tell me why that would be ?! i am sure it is something with
> my config file but i dont know what ..

The most common cause is that the Squid server has to little memory in
relation to the configured cache size, causing the server to swap.
See the Squid FAQ chapter on memory usage, especially the last entry
which discusses how much memory a Squid cache needs.

The second most common cause is improperly tuned Squid installation,
such as using the ufs cache_dir type on a high request rate Squid
proxy (trying to use the ufs cache_dir type for request rates above
30 requests/s is not recommendable, use diskd or aufs instead)

The third and not very common cause is improperly tuned system, but in
most cases Squid complains loudly in cache.log when you run into this
issue (except if the TCP backlog is too small.. Squid won't notice
this, only your users)