Re: [squid-users] Anonymous Access to one site

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:44:30 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Phil Smith wrote:

> I am running squid in an NT environment. We use NT authentication to grant
> or deny users access to the web via NT global groups. This works great
> except for one site that apparently uses its own authentication and dies on
> our squid proxy.

Almost certainly this one site is using "Microsoft Integrated Login"
(NTLM and friends) authentication which can not be proxied. This problem
is not related to you using proxy authentication or not.

The ways around this are

a) To convince the site operators to enable support for the standard Basic
HTTP authentication scheme ("Plain Text" in the IIS configuration).

b) Configure your browsers to not use a proxy for reaching this web site.

Microsoft has a number of good KB documents on why "Microsoft Integrated
Login" mechanisms should not be used over the Internet.