[squid-users] Which MAC does a Miss take?

From: <SMORRIS@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:46:14 -0600

Hi Everyone

I have a question. On my network I have a setup like this (I'll use the
last octet for ease of reading)

Users - Cisco 3550 - ptp link - NOC - Internet

I have my users all coming in through three ports in the 3550. On another
port in the 3550 I have .239 (squid box).

These are all connected via a wireless bridge to my NOC.

At my NOC I have a packet shaper that limits the throughput each user can
have when downloading from the Internet so as not to suck up my T1. Users
are "shaped" by MAC address.

If a user makes a request to .239 (the squid server) and the cache doesn't
contain the object, which MAC would come across the wireless bridge looking
to go to the Internet to get the object? Does the squid box go out to the
Internet to fetch the object on behalf of the user, or does the user come
and get it?

It's probably not all that important as the traffic shaper's real
effectiveness is against allowing Kaaza, ftp, etc from consuming the
bandwidth, but I was curious.

Thanks
Sam