[squid-users] My Squid Hardware -- Any Tips/Advice Before It's Commissioned

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:05:22 +0100 (BST)

hi all..

i am working on putting my high performance squid box
together, for transparent access for my client base of
some 2,000 or so users...

i can't buy a new box, so i have to transform one
already existing into a super-server (if that's
possible :))...

here are the server specs:

o Acer Altos 1100E
o 450MHz Intel Pentium III Processor
o 1.664GB SD-RAM
o 2x 9.1GB Barracuda SCSI HDD
o 2x 18GB Fujitsu SCSI HDD
o Adaptec UltraSCSI Controller

this is intended to be my software setup:

o SuSE Linux 8.2 Professional
o Kernel 2.4.20
o IPTables/Netfilter
o ReiserFS file system
o OS and core Squid distribution on one 9.1GB SCSI HDD
o Squid cache on the two 18GB SCSI HDD's
o Squid-2.5-STABLE
o WCCP v.1

2 yrs ago when i setup a pretty impressive transparent
squid box at my former ISP, i tried launching
'async-io' with an aufs cache file system, and that
crashed the squid box after 10 seconds of requests.. i
was running on Squid-2.4 then and Kernel 2.2.19 with
an ext2 file system.. is it possible my new system
would have better luck..?..

the only difference between my last successful build
and this is that i had dual processor system, 2x
850MHz Intel Pentium III Processors.. my current
machine is obviously some 4 times less powerful...

any tips on the number of disk drives i have, and the
fact that i have only one controller (which can take
all 4, but am not too sure if that's a good idea..)
..?..

Cisco IOS hardware and software details are taken care
of already..

generally, are there any tips anyone can advise
regarding the best i can get out of my
hardware/software configuration..?.. it's been a while
since i've built an enterprise squid box, and i want
to do it right the first time... pretty much excited
and looking forward to it..

all help appreciated..

Regards,

Mark.