Re: [squid-users] FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:57:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, unixware wrote:

> > a) How many requests/s? (5 min average)
>
> 65-90 req/sec

Ok. A bit but fully in range for what your CPU should be capable of.

> > b) How many open connections? (number of
> > filedescriptors in use)
>
> 2500-3500 open connections
>
> Current File descriptor in use 2800

A little high, but only a little.

> We Provide and Interent Over Cable and Dialup Services
>
> at peak hours around 3800 cable modems and 600 dialup
> modem are on line .

How man Mbit/s is your Squid server proxying?

> Pentitum III 1200 MHz Entry Level Server

Ok.

> RAM 2 GB

Ok.

> 3 SCSI Disk ( one for OS ) ( other for Cache )

Would probably do good with a third drive for cache.

I would also make sure all log files including swap.state is on the OS
drive, and no swap partition.

> i am not using more 8 GB for cache for each drive

Ok.

> OS Redhat 9 ( Mode Transparent using WCCP )

Try "downgrading" to a standard Linux-2.4 kernel.

> File system Reierfs

Ok.

> squid compiled with 16384 file descriptor

Quite high.. Squid will perform better if your recompile with fewer
filedescriptors, I would suggest 4096 or 6192. Note: Due to a glibc issue
the number of filedescriptors must be eventy divideable by 32 or odd
things may happen..

> using AUFS

Ok.

> Is switching other OS like FreeBSd helps ??

Maybe, maybe not. Both Linux and FreeBSD usually performs about the same,
but your milage may vary depending on network driver quality etc..