[squid-users] Authentication Problems

From: Hement Gopal <hementg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:06:29 +0200

Hi all

I have two proxy servers, both running the same OS and Squid

Squid Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE5
Linux athena.wits.ac.za 2.4.20-8smp
Linux version 2.4.20-8smp (bhcompile@porky.devel.redhat.com) (gcc
version 3.2.2
20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)) #1 SMP Thu Mar 13 17:45:54 EST 2003

On server 1, user authetication seems to be giving problems. A small
percentage of users complain that their username and password
combinations do not work. If I test from Netscape and IE with their
user/pass combos I also have issues. When I test on the server 1 itself
using the ncsa-auth command, I get an OK so I know the problem is not
with my password file.

Comparing password files on the two servers also confirms that there are
no probelms. If I change my browser to point to server 2, authetication
works fine....so I'm pretty sure problem is related to the server 1 only.

I also noticed that when I do a squid -k reconfig on server 1, the
problem disappears.

Any ideas folks?

Rgds,
Hement Gopal