Re: [squid-users] FEATURE-Request - client ip and port or username

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:53:19 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Rainer Anschober wrote:

> Now, the webserver can read two new variables ( HTTP_CLIENT_ADDR and
> HTTP_CLIENT_PORT ). Our Webapplication now can read the ip address and
> the port of the client webbrowser. We need this in order to make an
> ident questions to the client in order to get the loginname of the user,
> who want to serve this server.

Why don't you instead ask Squid to make the ident request, and then
forward the returned ident to the web application? Squid does have full
support for ident.

And whats wrong with using X-Forwarded-For for the client address?

> Is it possible to add this feature in the original source code? Perhaps
> with an switch in the configfile like i can turn on or off the
> information HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR?

Sounds like a very site specific addition. I don't imagine many others
would be interested in this odd feature.