[squid-users] New to List needing squid.conf help!

From: Mark T. C. <mark@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 11:39:45 -0800

Hi,

I've been using Linux (RH 5.2) for years and it does what I need it to do
just fine. I've had it running squid and simple X-window telnet, perl,
expect, apache, etc... just for fooling around and learning. Now that I have
teenage boys, and the internet - well, Squid and webalizer are really coming
in handy. I am having some problems getting simple ACLs to work. I can make
them work in this fashion...

acl ACLX url_regex -i sex
.
.
.
http_access deny ACLX
.
.
.

But then I have to create billions of lists like the pair above
ad-Infinitum. There must be a better way... so, I see in the help in
squid.conf the following...

acl aclname acltype "file" ...

where acltype can be url_pattern (or url_regex ???) and the file says it
must contain one entry per line, which I can only assume must be a regular
expresion pattern such as .*sex.*???

But... when I use...

acl BANLIST url_regex (or url_pattern) ban-list
http_access deny BANLIST
... and place the file ban-list with a bazillion lines of nasty word
patterns in it, nothing gets banned, not even http://www.sex.com... sigh.

Is there anywhere where anyone has actually written a step-wise manual that
really, in english, with procedure - explains how to configure these things.
I do not mean a syntax manual... I mean a method and purpose example and
method that does a job, specifically and purposefully. I write this sort of
documentation all day long at my work. ANYONE - with our with out in depth
experience can pick up one of my docs and perform the task - in this case
how to add a phrase or site to an ACL in squid.conf to ban a specific http
access... see what I mean.

Thanks in advance (how's that for an introduction)... I have many more to
come...

Mark