Re: [squid-users] Slow Downloads from Windows Update

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:41:04 +0100

On Sunday 15 January 2006 18:24, Jon Banks wrote:
> I created the solution to make Squid work with Windows Update as
> suggested by Brian E. Conklin on Sept. 9, 2005. I can get to Windows
> Update, but it takes forever (or 10+ minutes) just for windows update to
> tell me what files I need to download. Then, it make take 5+ minutes
> per file download. The downloads as slow and they tend to pause for 2-5
> minutes in between each file.

I can't tell for sure but last time I analyzed the situation (especially in
connection with XP service pack 2) it turned out that many updates are
broken. Windows Update pulls a download through the proxy but then tries a
direct connection to the internet without talking to the proxy. The
developers at Redmond often seem to assume that everyone (even
security-enforcing companies) has a direct unlimited internet connection.

The slowdown occurred here because after a while the partly update gives up
(probably a timeout in the software) and another part that may hopefully
be more carefully programmed succeeds in running another update.

> Does anyone have a
> solution as to how to make these downloads faster or at least a reason
> that I can tell my boss? Thnaks.

You wouldn't like your to tell your boss the ideas I have a mind. ;)

Kindly
 Christoph

--
Never trust a system administrator who wears a tie and suit.