[squid-users] https not working on transparent bridge mode

From: Jawed Ahmed <jawed.ahmed@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:01:40 +0530

-------

hi group,
I am facing a transparent proxying problem.
read through the mail archives but could not locate solution to my problem, therefore
this mail

I have the following configuration

squid 2.5 stable 12
iptables 1.3.5
fedora 5

I dont' have direct access to internet, my squid box has the ip of the router(which has
public IP on its other interface) as gateway and traffic from port 80 and 443 are allowed
on the router to the squid box. the squid box has only one network card.

I have done exactly what has been advised on the various guides and manuals..
namely,
made the 5 changes to squid.conf,
added one rule in iptables to redirect port 80 traffic to port 3128
added one postrouting rule in iptables to masquerade for port 443

after changing the gateway ip of the clients to point to the ip of the squid box, I am able
to surf only the http sites. I am not able to surf the https sites. All the sites work properly
if I configure the browser to use the proxy on port 3128 explicitly.

In some of the pages this configuration is mentioned as the bridge configuration.

I am a linux newbie, any help to proceed forward is highly appreciated.

Jawed Ahmed

--
9825325766
079-25555625,25555634