Re: [squid-users] 4 second Cache Miss Service Times

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 23:42:58 +0200

fre 2006-06-16 klockan 12:43 -0800 skrev Chris Robertson:

> Perhaps the time required to make DNS queries is being included in the
> Cache Miss and Near Hits time due to using WCCP (my clients are set
> explicitly to use the proxy).

Yes DNS time is included in the service time. The service time is
measured from where Squid has read the request until it has finished
sending the response. But this does not exaplain the differences (see
below).

Squid always queries DNS for the host name, but only once/twice (it
caches the result internally).

When using WCCP the DNS service times should be a little better as the
client has just made the same DNS query and the result should be cached
in your central DNS, assuming both Squid and the client is using the
same DNS server (directly, or via DNS forwarder).