Re: [squid-users] Re: Re: Cache for mp3 and ogg in memory...

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:23:11 +0100

On 09.02.08 22:44, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> It is useless, sinc even if I recode the 192kBit OGG to 96kBit and
> download the file 10 times, I will get 10 different files...

ogg/vorbis was made to be able to change bitrare just by cutting off
superflous bits, so you can easily download the highest required rate and
provide any rate that is required.

For other formats, it's always better to receive one stream for each
quality/bitrate and provide them multiple times, if it's possible at all.
If it's not, they wou probably won't have cache at all...

> The only thing I can imagine is, that 'gnump3d' build and admin its
> own cache. Exactly, it look in a directory whether the desired file
> is already there and the use it respectively and if the ${CACHE_DIR}
> is in a RAMDISK who care?
>
> I mean, "gnump3d" should remember if it had already recoded a file
> and then use it, if it is in the ${CACHE_DIR}.

are we talking about streaming sound still?

He who laughs last thinks slowest.