Re: [squid-users] sqid as http accelerator (both on Port:80), but logs shows forign IPs why ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:00:49 +1300 (NZDT)

> People: i am using squid infront of my apache as an http accelerator,
> but the httpd-access log shows GET requests from 2 foreign address ,
> with all other requests from 127.0.0.1 ,
>
> I want to know why it shows 2 foreign IPs in the logs, is it means
> squid is not accepting all the requests through 127.0.0.1 right ?
>
> This means someone is directly connecting to apache ?

Yes. Probably using the IP address they found earlier.

> This is my squid's setup
>
> http_port Public-IP-of-my-machine :80 accel vhost
> cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 80 0 originserver default
>
> My apache listens on :80

In which case you may have occasional trouble with boot-sequencing and
startups.

Best have apache listening ONLY on 127.0.0.1:80

> Any comments most welcome: all requests must be from 127.0.0.1 in
> this setup right ?OR showing foreign address in apache logs okay?

Assuming that the requests from 127.0.0.1 means squid has sucessfully
grabbed its <public-ip-only>:80 port I suspect you have a second interface
which Squid is not listening on that lets requests go straight to apache
on its <anything>:80 listener.

You would be best having apache hard-accessed to 127.0.0.1:80 and squid on
the other two? three+?

Amos