Re: [squid-users] mallinfo() vs. sbrk()

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 04:03:58 +0100

On tor, 2008-11-06 at 13:17 -0800, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> I remember reading somewhere (can't forget where, and I may be
> incorrect) that when available, sbrk is a more reliable indication of
> memory use for squid than mallinfo().

mallinfo is more reliabe than sbrk when it works... but at least Linux
mallinfo fails when the process grows above 2GB in size..

mallinfo includes all memory allocated by the memory allocator (malloc
and friends).

sbrk includes the size of the data segment, where most memory
allocations go, but not all. Large allocations is handled by malloc
outside of the data segment.